5 Key Differences Between Moscato and Prosecco

Moscato and Prosecco are two popular white wines that many wine enthusiasts worldwide enjoy. Both wines are known for their unique flavors, aromas, and versatility in pairing with food. However, there are some notable differences between the two wines that set them apart. In this article, we’ll discuss the differences between Moscato and Prosecco.

What is Prosecco Wine?

Prosecco is a sparkling dry white wine originating in the Veneto and the Friuli-Venezia Giulia regions of northeastern Italy. With an alcohol content of 11.5-12.5% and high acidity, Prosecco wines are typically light and crisp on the palate. These wines have a fruity aroma, with complex flavors of citrus fruits and floral notes derived from their grape varieties.

What is Moscato?

Moscato is a light or semi-sweet wine hailing from Italy’s northwestern Piedmont region. It harbors a unique style featuring a naturally sweet and fruit-forward profile. Moscato wines typically have low tannins with a lower alcohol content than Prosecco. Moscato wines are made from a range of grape varieties, which creates their distinctive flavor profile.

Key Differences Between Moscato and Prosecco

1. Alcohol Content

With medium-high acidity, Prosecco wine is relatively dry and has an alcohol content averaging about 12%. Conversely, Moscato wine is typically lower in alcohol at 5-7% and has a lighter body with more pronounced fruit flavors.

2. Grape Variety

Prosecco is produced with at least 85% Glera grapes. The other 15% can be made with other regional grapes, which creates its distinctive flavor profile. The famous white wine version of Moscato is made from the family of Moscato Bianco grape varieties. Muscat Blanc is the most common species used worldwide, and it also happens to be one of the oldest wine grapes in the world!

3. Taste and Aromas

Prosecco wine is typically dry, crisp, and fruity. Its flavor profile consists of apple, pear, citrus, white peach, honeydew melon, and cream. Moscato wine is most known for its sweetness and light bubbly traits. Moscato features a soft body with fruit notes derived from ripe pear, lemon, orange blossom, and honeysuckle.

4. Pairings

While Prosecco and Moscato’s wines are great on their own, they also pair well with many types of food. Prosecco is an excellent pairing with fish and seafood, cured meats, antipasto, as well, as salads. Prosecco complements light and refreshing foods, such as seafood and salads, but can also pair well with spicy foods.

On the other hand, Moscato pairs best with pasta dishes, cheeses, and Italian cuisine. The wine’s acidity and bubbles help to cleanse the palate, making it the perfect pairing. Muscat also complements Asian and Indian cuisine wonderfully.

Moscato and Prosecco both work well with sweet and fruity desserts like fruit tarts and sorbets.

Which is the Best?

Deciding whether Moscato or Prosecco wine is best depends on your taste preferences. Moscato wine is the way to go if you enjoy sweeter wines with bold flavors. If you enjoy light and crisp wines, however, try Prosecco wine which is prone to be more dry and bubbly, with a fruity aroma.

Whether you’re looking for a great red wine, a refreshing white wine, or an off-dry wine, Moscato and Prosecco are two wines you’ll love. While the two wines may be similar in their fruity taste and aroma profiles, they have some notable differences that set them apart.

Minimum 4 characters